Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KissMyAxe intro + questions

2 posters

Go down

KissMyAxe intro + questions Empty KissMyAxe intro + questions

Post  KissMyAxe Sun May 15, 2011 11:06 pm

Hi, I've registered on the forums a week or so ago, now I find out I can't post on the Tips and Tactics forums (or maybe I'm not supposed to?). Okay, so I'd like to join the guild. I don't have a map ready yet: but I'm working on two. And, actually, I have a few questions regarding the map editor:
  • Does the "elevate terrain" tool only work where the character stands or am I missing something? It's really painful to switch between the normal and edit modes and have my character walk to where I want to modify the terrain. Sad
  • How to make a tunnel in rocks? Like in Last Stand (? -- the castle with the trap on flag). Also, is it possible to make an underground tunnel? If so, how?

KissMyAxe
Associate

Back to top Go down

KissMyAxe intro + questions Empty Re: KissMyAxe intro + questions

Post  Deaf Blind Dave Sun May 15, 2011 11:52 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:Hi, I've registered on the forums a week or so ago, now I find out I can't post on the Tips and Tactics forums (or maybe I'm not supposed to?). Okay, so I'd like to join the guild. I don't have a map ready yet: but I'm working on two. And, actually, I have a few questions regarding the map editor:
  • Does the "elevate terrain" tool only work where the character stands or am I missing something? It's really painful to switch between the normal and edit modes and have my character walk to where I want to modify the terrain. Sad
  • How to make a tunnel in rocks? Like in Last Stand (? -- the castle with the trap on flag). Also, is it possible to make an underground tunnel? If so, how?

Hey Kiss welcome to the Guild. Once you complete a map I will add you to the Associates group and you will be able to post in Tips and Tactics.

To answer your questions, you should be able to alter terrain anywhere in the editor. If its only affecting the spot you are standing on that is very odd, I never encountered that before. If you are trying to alter terrain and an object is between your cursor and the terrain it will not seem to work. You must have clear line of sight in order to alter terrain.

Second, to create tunnels there is various ways to do so. Unfortunately in M&B you cannot wrap terrain over other terrain. So the two easiest ways to make caves is to sink some terrain, then use rocks to cover the trench thus forming a cave. You may alternatively make a cave using rocks alone, having the players walk on them. Either way, its a good idea to add barriers to the sides of your caves so players cannot shimmy up the sides and pass through the ceiling. Its a known glitch but if you add barriers that should prevent it.
Deaf Blind Dave
Deaf Blind Dave
Guild Master

https://cegmb.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KissMyAxe Mon May 16, 2011 1:18 am

Deaf Blind Dave wrote:To answer your questions, you should be able to alter terrain anywhere in the editor. If its only affecting the spot you are standing on that is very odd, I never encountered that before. If you are trying to alter terrain and an object is between your cursor and the terrain it will not seem to work. You must have clear line of sight in order to alter terrain.
Okay, I was dumb... Didn't know you are supposed to *hold* the right mouse button to use the "elevate ground" tool. *facepalm*

Deaf Blind Dave wrote:Second, to create tunnels there is various ways to do so. Unfortunately in M&B you cannot wrap terrain over other terrain. So the two easiest ways to make caves is to sink some terrain, then use rocks to cover the trench thus forming a cave. You may alternatively make a cave using rocks alone, having the players walk on them. Either way, its a good idea to add barriers to the sides of your caves so players cannot shimmy up the sides and pass through the ceiling. Its a known glitch but if you add barriers that should prevent it.
So, I basically make a trench. Then I put some "ValleyRock_flatRounded_big"s on it, right? But what if I want a mountain be on top of that (like in the castle I was referring to)? Or some other type of ground? Can you make a video or picture tutorial on how to make a tunnel, please?

Another question: what do the different kinds of banners do? Say, there are "banner_cq", "banner_cu" and so on...

KissMyAxe
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Deaf Blind Dave Mon May 16, 2011 1:21 am

KissMyAxe wrote:
Deaf Blind Dave wrote:To answer your questions, you should be able to alter terrain anywhere in the editor. If its only affecting the spot you are standing on that is very odd, I never encountered that before. If you are trying to alter terrain and an object is between your cursor and the terrain it will not seem to work. You must have clear line of sight in order to alter terrain.
Okay, I was dumb... Didn't know you are supposed to *hold* the right mouse button to use the "elevate ground" tool. *facepalm*

Deaf Blind Dave wrote:Second, to create tunnels there is various ways to do so. Unfortunately in M&B you cannot wrap terrain over other terrain. So the two easiest ways to make caves is to sink some terrain, then use rocks to cover the trench thus forming a cave. You may alternatively make a cave using rocks alone, having the players walk on them. Either way, its a good idea to add barriers to the sides of your caves so players cannot shimmy up the sides and pass through the ceiling. Its a known glitch but if you add barriers that should prevent it.
So, I basically make a trench. Then I put some "ValleyRock_flatRounded_big"s on it, right? But what if I want a mountain be on top of that (like in the castle I was referring to)? Or some other type of ground? Can you make a video or picture tutorial on how to make a tunnel, please?

Another question: what do the different kinds of banners do? Say, there are "banner_cq", "banner_cu" and so on...

I intend to make many tutorials soon, I have just been extremely busy trying to get the weapons pack done and 6 maps I am working on. The map you are referring to is Fort Oscurio. If you would like, I can send you the SCO file and the terrain code and you can build it into your module and then you can explore it in the editor to see exactly how things were done.
Deaf Blind Dave
Deaf Blind Dave
Guild Master

Back to top Go down

Post  KissMyAxe Mon May 16, 2011 1:28 am

Deaf Blind Dave wrote:I intend to make many tutorials soon, I have just been extremely busy trying to get the weapons pack done and 6 maps I am working on. The map you are referring to is Fort Oscurio. If you would like, I can send you the SCO file and the terrain code and you can build it into your module and then you can explore it in the editor to see exactly how things were done.
That would be great, Dave.

Also, how do I save a map? When I exit the editor mode, it asks whether to save changes, then I exit. Then I go to the scene chooser again, and it only has the entry for "castle classified: generate". When I press it, I start at the blank slate again.
EDIT: I figured it out. I was supposed to have an *.sco file for that castle before I edit the map.

KissMyAxe
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Deaf Blind Dave Mon May 16, 2011 6:07 am

Regarding the banners, they are just for show. Do you plan on doing any Invasion maps?
Deaf Blind Dave
Deaf Blind Dave
Guild Master

Back to top Go down

Post  KissMyAxe Mon May 16, 2011 1:24 pm

Deaf Blind Dave wrote:Do you plan on doing any Invasion maps?
Not at the moment. And there haven't been a lot of people at GK_Invasion, so I don't know whether it's worth spending time on it.

So, if you could send me the *.sco for Fort Oscurio, that would be great. Also, I'd be interested to see how that wooden castle is made (Snowy Motte?) and the new Mines of Curaw (assuming that's your map). Basically my first castle is going to be a wooden one. It's gonna feature a river and at least one tunnel (there is going to be an interesting twist, I promise Twisted Evil ).

KissMyAxe
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Deaf Blind Dave Mon May 16, 2011 5:47 pm

Just keep balance and game play in mind. Don't get carried away with the defenses or attackers will never win Wink

I will need your email to send you the file, as for Snowy Motte and Mines of Curaw you will have to contact Madoc since he is the map maker of those.
Deaf Blind Dave
Deaf Blind Dave
Guild Master

Back to top Go down

Post  KissMyAxe Mon May 16, 2011 6:34 pm

Deaf Blind Dave wrote:Just keep balance and game play in mind. Don't get carried away with the defenses or attackers will never win Wink
Well, since I attack most often, I all well aware of it. I'm gonna balance the castle till it's perfect. Sending you the e-mail address via PM.

KissMyAxe
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  KissMyAxe Mon May 16, 2011 8:40 pm

I still have a problem with saving the map. Sad When I change something, and then exit the scene (tab) and select it again via QSC, I see my changes. But if I exit Warband, the changes are all lost. Any idea of why this might happen? Maybe there is an explicit command I must issue to save the map? If so, what is it?

KissMyAxe
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Deaf Blind Dave Mon May 16, 2011 8:52 pm

I would not even use the quick scene changer. use the module system to build a new entry for your map, then just host a server in the game and load up your map then enter edit mode and edit from there. If you need help with any of that I am on team speak and steam.
Deaf Blind Dave
Deaf Blind Dave
Guild Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down