Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Competitive Map Testing

2 posters

Go down

Competitive Map Testing Empty Competitive Map Testing

Post  Eidridin Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:34 pm

I need Battle maps that are ready to be tested for future scrims. The thread on Taleworlds-
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,184670.0.html

And the post-
On behalf of my fellow map-makers I would like to suggest an idea to the Clan leaders in Mount & Blade Warband that have at least participated in a few scrims.

I've noticed in a couple of the scrims I've had with different clans, nobody likes to play with Custom maps in fear of unbalance, inequality, secret hide-out spots, and more. But if you noticed, some.. If not all maps created by Taleworlds are a little off-balanced. Not to mention that they may have some glitchy spots, not enough detail in some places, and not enough maps like Nord Town, Port Assault, and Village. The Random Plains maps we scrim on have very ridiculous terrain. Like some maps have a lot of tall, small hills that is a pain for some players to move around in. Sometimes a team will spawn on top of a very large hill, while the other starts on the bottom. I would also like to give the map-makers in the community a chance to present scrim-able custom maps that other clans would normally turn away their noses too, just because they never played on that map.

"So what is your big idea, Sly?"

I would like the map-makers in this community to create a few very balanced maps to present to the clan leaders on a scheduled date. The clan leaders will then run through the collection of maps to vote if the map is approved or not approved for scrims.

The clan leaders will create a set of rules that the map-makers MUST abide too, if their maps are to be submitted.

Example-

1. No glitched spots

2. No traps

3. Spawns must at least be 25 seconds away from each other Updated

4. Map must be usable for all classes

5. Map is limited to 400kb maximum Updated

And so on forth..

If map-makers need to test their maps before presenting to the clan leaders of M&B:W, you can visit the site www.cegmb.forumotion.com to speak with Deaf Blind Dave, or a fellow mapper like me to host a server and test your map out along with a couple of other people to help find glitches (GK members most of the time).

Please, discuss.. I'll be happy enough to answer questions. If you are a clan member who is reading this, please direct your clan leader to this thread.

I've messaged some of the clan leaders in hopes that they will respond to this thread. I was thinking about posting a message in the Nordous Guild area, but I'm afraid it will count as spam.

Clans in support-

(click to show/hide)
(GK) Golden Kingdoms
(Balion) Balion Mercenaries
(Wk) West Knights
(BkS) Black Shields
(KoA) Kingdom of Avalon

Testing will begin
August 9th

For those who want to submit their maps. Please send me a copy of your map's scene, script, string, and SCO file in a compressed file (zip file) to Slytacular@gmail.com for reviewing

Procedures-

The gathered Leaders and I on a server hosted by me will review through each map. (map-makers and members of clans are welcome to participate as well)

The first step for each map will be began with eye-balling for a minute or two.

The second step involves doing a quick search for glitches or objects out of place. (if glitches or sketchy objects are found the map may be automatically denied until problem is fixed)

The third step, which is optional, will be a play-test for a round or two depending on how much time we have.

The fourth step is the final decision on whether we keep the map or not. We discuss what we like about it, and what we don't like about it. If a clan leader says no, no matter how trollish or critically constructed it is, it will be acknowledged and the map will be denied.

And the cycle repeats itself. We can not guarantee that every map will pass as scrim-able. It could be likely that every map will be denied.

Remember, we are only going over BATTLE maps.

Eidridin
Associate

Back to top Go down

Competitive Map Testing Empty Re: Competitive Map Testing

Post  Lor Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:48 pm

Sounds fun,

Deadline has been pushed back to 28th of Aug. I wouldnt be surprised if it is pushed back even more as that particular thread seems very much stalled.

I would love to submit something - can-t guarantee though.

Lor
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Eidridin Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:46 pm

It's kind of a dead thread right now. I haven't seen any real active and interested people who wish to pursue this idea other than I. Also, I had a lot to deal with of lately and that I am also running a knighthood.

Eidridin
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Lor Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:52 pm

Well.

I think it was during a deadzone in the summer + there doesnt seem to be many mappers around. From re-reading your thread a lot of people were interested - they just dont have much time. I did get the impression though that most clans would like new maps.

I was thinking, since they would be used in k-boob most likely (and now probably in ROCK) - what about contacting kitten and presenting her a map-pack that CEG tried-and-tested. Maybe just 2-3 maps would be a good start (I think 5+ maps at a time would be too much).

Or, since k-boob is obviously not gonna use new maps for the remaining of the competition, perhaps present the map-pack to duke_kenneth for battle-scrims in ROCK (not sure if thats how its gonna work).

At any rate - what im trying to get across is you don-t need the whole community to work on a million of maps and make a community map selection meeting. We could here at CEG have a few mappers work on maybe 6-7 maps and have an internal vote on 2-3 maps that would be most balanced for battle scrims - and then - present it to the competitive community as a Mappack.

CEGpack
(cegbattle1, cegbattle2, cegbattle3)

If you present it in a professional format, done by good mappers from a Mapping Guild. I am certain the community will try it.

I know spec has done a great map that he presented in the thread. Why don-t we have a little group of mappers here that work on the project. Sure - maybe they-ll all be refused. But we love making maps anyways so it doesnt matter.

---

Im sure DBD could throw one in there. I was working on one the other day (although I have a better idea now so ill just scrap it). eidridin you could work on 1 or 2 when you have time. Spec seems like a prolific mapper. We can give a month deadline or something lets just be relax about it.

Then maybe GK-s can try it for glitches and oddities.

I don-t want to steal this from you Eidridin, but I encourage you to revisit the idea and take over the project. I think a lot of people are still hoping for new maps.

Regards,

Lor
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Eidridin Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:13 pm

Very well. I like the idea. If your willing to help create a set of maps that is designed for competitive play then I'm all in for it. I'll be happy to pusue this again.

Eidridin
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down