Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duke Kenneth's Application

5 posters

Go down

Duke Kenneth's Application Empty Duke Kenneth's Application

Post  Duke_Kenneth Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:00 pm

Alright, I, Duke Kenneth (previously "Apollo"), present this, Terrathan's Keep at the Mt. Parnassus Complex, as evidence of my skill and commitment to custom scening, and request membership in the Calradia Explorers Guild based on said skill and commitment.

All of these screenshots and more can be found on my public Steam profile here: Duke Kenneth's Public Screenshots (Everything older than March 1st is part of the map.)

(Keep in mind that when I made this map, I was "[PTK Strategos] Apollo" and PTK = "Plague of Terrathan's Keep)

This map includes a rp guildhall and working training grounds and was in use by PTK until their dissolution. This is the first scene I've ever created; it took the entirety of 4 snow days in Dallas to go from the first time opening Edit Mode to this map. As it was my first map, there is consequentially a large amount of features that I would change given what I know now. It was, however, a great learning process and remains a good concept piece. I hope you enjoy:

(If the shots are too large for your screen, view them here (again, everything after March 1st is part of the Mt. Parnassus Complex). Also, zooming out should render then visible as well (Ctrl+MouseWheel).
Spoiler:

Thanks for you consideration,
Ken

Duke Kenneth's Application 98AB99F9241ACDB5B568EDE2D0886FEEF0A7D89D

Duke_Kenneth
Associate

Back to top Go down

Duke Kenneth's Application Empty Re: Duke Kenneth's Application

Post  Deaf Blind Dave Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:00 pm

Looks awesome! Mind if we meet up so I can review it on a server? I am a bit busy today but we can do it sometime tomorrow, I will also add you to my steam later.
Deaf Blind Dave
Deaf Blind Dave
Guild Master

https://cegmb.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Eidridin Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:07 pm

Sweet map! Got more?

Eidridin
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke_Kenneth Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:25 pm

Deaf Blind Dave wrote:Looks awesome! Mind if we meet up so I can review it on a server? I am a bit busy today but we can do it sometime tomorrow, I will also add you to my steam later.

Thanks. Not sure how timing is going to work - may not really have time until late Monday night, but we can figure that out later. Additionally, I'm going to have to send you the .sco file and terrain codes so you can host it - where I am currently, the security is too tight to allow me to host a server.

Eidridin wrote:Sweet map! Got more?

My first was definitely my grandest so far. I've got a few others but nothing to this scale. (I am however currently working on a Capitol map for the campaign that dwarfs this one Cool )

Duke_Kenneth
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Deaf Blind Dave Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:18 pm

Cant wait to see it, I really like some of the small details in those shots like the little war room table with the flags. I will pm you my email now so you can send the files over, and when we meet on steam I will be glad to host the server.
Deaf Blind Dave
Deaf Blind Dave
Guild Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke_Kenneth Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:47 pm

Deaf Blind Dave wrote:Cant wait to see it, I really like some of the small details in those shots like the little war room table with the flags. I will pm you my email now so you can send the files over, and when we meet on steam I will be glad to host the server.

Alright, just sent the .sco file and terrain codes to you.

Duke_Kenneth
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Deaf Blind Dave Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Having problems finding your steam its not coming up when I search for your name. Try adding me, Champ*DBD or search using the email I gave you.
Deaf Blind Dave
Deaf Blind Dave
Guild Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Deaf Blind Dave Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Finally got my module system working. I am going to load up your map tonight and review it. Smile
Deaf Blind Dave
Deaf Blind Dave
Guild Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke_Kenneth Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:18 pm

Deaf Blind Dave wrote:Finally got my module system working. I am going to load up your map tonight and review it. Smile

Great! If you need a tour, PM me Very Happy

Duke_Kenneth
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Deaf Blind Dave Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:20 am

Hey there. Sorry you logged off before I could finish my mission last night. I did go through your map though, great job on your first map! There were some minor things you can improve on such as texture blending which I can show you. But otherwise it was a very nice scene. With that, I welcome you to the guild. You are now an associate. Congrats!
Deaf Blind Dave
Deaf Blind Dave
Guild Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke_Kenneth Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:26 pm

Deaf Blind Dave wrote:Hey there. Sorry you logged off before I could finish my mission last night. I did go through your map though, great job on your first map! There were some minor things you can improve on such as texture blending which I can show you. But otherwise it was a very nice scene. With that, I welcome you to the guild. You are now an associate. Congrats!

Thanks! and I would love it if you would share some tips with me Smile - the entirety of what I know about scene-ing comes from trial and error. Hence, I don't know what the phrase "texture blending" means. Is that a method for compensating for the flashing and clipping that you get when two scenic props have shells too close to one another? or something else entirely?

Anyway, I look forward to learning more about this noble art. Wink

Duke_Kenneth
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince_Mallen Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Look's amazing Very Happy i hope your gonna make more like this.

Prince_Mallen

Prince_Mallen

https://www.youtube.com/user/usaspark

Back to top Go down

Post  Deaf Blind Dave Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:36 pm

Ken I took some shots of your map to show you what I meant, I will post them up a bit later so you can see what I mean by texture blending.
Deaf Blind Dave
Deaf Blind Dave
Guild Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke_Kenneth Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:43 pm

Deaf Blind Dave wrote:Ken I took some shots of your map to show you what I meant, I will post them up a bit later so you can see what I mean by texture blending.

Thanks - much appreciated. Smile

Prince_Mallen wrote:Look's amazing Very Happy i hope your gonna make more like this.

Prince_Mallen

Thanks as well! I am currently working on a similar one for ROCK, so yes Very Happy

Duke_Kenneth
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Deaf Blind Dave Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:37 pm

Ok so in screenshot one, we see your texturing. Its very basic and has jagged edges like on the top of the stone where it meets the grass:

Duke Kenneth's Application Mb216

In the next screenshot, I took a turf and earth brush, set the size to about 5, and lowered the hardness and weight down to about .05. I then dabbed the edges all along the jagged area and broke up the monotony of the bottom of the hill as well as dabbing earth and path textures lightly here and there on the stone itself to break it up as seen here:

Duke Kenneth's Application Mb217

As a final touch, one which many mappers leave out, I take a colored brush and make it black. I then set the size to about 5 and lower the weight and hardness to about .1 then I dab the hill here and there and make slight color variations. You can do this with many colors if you wish, here is an example of how the final texture blending process looks. Compare to screenshot 1:

Duke Kenneth's Application Mb218

You could take this scene a step further and add a few rocks and trees and bushes as well. However I did not do that for the screenshots.
Deaf Blind Dave
Deaf Blind Dave
Guild Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Deaf Blind Dave Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:58 pm

Oh one thing I forgot to mention too, is that your rocky terrain is smooth. I used a terrain tool brush and set it to "down" then set the weight and hardness to like .2 then I dabbed here and there, and then set it to up and did the same here and there to give the rock a more jagged appearance. You cant see it top town in the pics though.
Deaf Blind Dave
Deaf Blind Dave
Guild Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Eidridin Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:36 pm

totally. Don't want the textures to look like they repeat themselves.

Eidridin
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Vendigr Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:22 am

Great looking map!

I would add to Dave's suggestion to add valley rocks, they blend well with the rock texture and give it a more realistic look by breaking up the smooth terrain.

Vendigr
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke_Kenneth Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:33 am

Thanks for the advice. (Seems obvious now in retrospect.) I haven't gotten a chance to try them out yet; I'm currently on a short business trip.

Duke_Kenneth
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Eidridin Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:32 pm

Looks good! Can't wait to invade that on ROCK.

Eidridin
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke_Kenneth Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:52 pm

Eidridin wrote:Looks good! Can't wait to invade that on ROCK.

heh, be my guest - it's going to start the game belonging to KoIF - (we should invade it together Wink )

Duke_Kenneth
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Eidridin Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:58 pm

Duke_Kenneth wrote:
Eidridin wrote:Looks good! Can't wait to invade that on ROCK.

heh, be my guest - it's going to start the game belonging to KoIF - (we should invade it together Wink )
Harr! pirat

Eidridin
Associate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down